Location: Mauritius and Reunion (Fr)
Event: The Mauritius Meteorological Service has issued a cyclone warning Class 2 for tropical cyclone Freddy, including a Class 3 warning for Rodrigues. The France Meteorological Service – Reunion has also issued a cyclone yellow pre-alert. The cyclone is expected to pass Mauritius to the North the afternoon of February 20 and Reunion during the night, both are expected to experience heavy rains, strong wind gusts, and high surf. While we will seek to inform Americans as necessary, the U.S. Embassy will be limited in providing emergency services during the storm.
Vigilance is urged in areas affected by the cyclone. Stay abreast of the latest bulletin from the Mauritius Meteorological Service by calling the local number 171 (mobile) or 8996 (fixed line) or monitoring local radio, the National Weather Service, and local media to stay aware of any weather developments in their area.
Actions to Take:
Consult the Mauritius Meteorological Service website or the France Meteorological Service – Reunion website (French) for the most up-to-date information. Please continue to monitor national and international media for information as well. The Government of Mauritius and France may issue stay-at-home notices, so please continue to follow local laws and emergency measures enforced to prepare for the cyclone.
During the Storm:
- Avoid travel until the storm has dissipated;
- Monitor the local news for updates;
- Seek secure shelter;
- Do not go outside, flying debris is lethal;
- Do not watch the storm from beaches as storm surge, rip tides and rogue waves are hazardous;
- Stay off your home/cell phone and radio. Keep all means of communication available for an emergency.
After the storm:
· Do not leave your shelter until the all-clear signals have been given by relevant authorities;
· Beware of fallen power lines, damaged buildings and trees and flooded water courses;
· Do not consume fallen fruits;
· Boil water for drinking purposes;
· Drain out stagnant water to prevent proliferation of mosquitoes.
· U.S. Embassy Port Louis, Mauritius
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Avenue
+230 202 4400 (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts