November 7, 2019
Event: Mauritius will hold parliamentary elections on November 7, 2019. Traffic may be extremely congested, and emergency services, such as ambulances and police, may take longer to respond. The availability of taxis or other transportation services may be limited. Restaurants and grocery stores may be closed.
The U.S. Embassy in Port Louis will be closed on November 7, 2019 for the declared Mauritian public holiday for parliamentary elections. The Consular Section will provide only emergency services during this period.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy to Mauritius, Seychelles and Réunion: (https://mu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/)
- Tel: + (230) 202-4400 U.S. Embassy Port Louis, Mauritius
- Tel: + (230) 5 253 3641 After-hours life-and-death emergency number
- Tel: + (248) 422-5256 U.S. Consular Agency, Victoria, Seychelles
- Email Consular Section U.S. Embassy Port Louis: PTLConsular@state.gov
- Tel: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444 State Department – Consular Affairs
- Please see travel warnings and alertson the Department of State webpage http://travel.state.gov.
- Mauritius Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mauritius.html
- Seychelles Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Seychelles.html
- To receive security updates, please enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/step.html
- Follow us on Facebook