Emergency Financial Assistance

For information on this service, please see the Department of State website page on Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad.

Wiring Money Directly: You or your family, friends, or associates, may use a commercial money transfer service, such as Western Union or MoneyGram, to wire money overseas. There are money transfer cost comparison tools online to help you identify the best option.  The person receiving the money will need to present proof of identity, such as a passport.

Note that credit cards and debit/ATM cards may also be used to obtain cash or pay bills. Family or friends in the U.S. can send funds through the procedures described at the State Department website.