Eligibility for a CRBA

Birth of U.S. Citizens abroad

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is proof of U.S. citizenship; however, it is not a travel document and does not take the place of a passport for travel purposes.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that parents apply for the CRBA and U.S. passport as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

To schedule an appointment to report your child’s birth, please click here.

Both parents and the child must be present.

You must provide the required evidence listed below before we can process the application.

  • Complete Form DS-2029 Please complete but do not sign, you must sign in the presence of the Consular officer
  • Child’s original birth certificate
  • $100 payable in U.S. dollars, Mauritian rupees or by credit card
  • Parents’ marriage certificate
  • Both parents’ passports or Local ID
  • Divorce Decree if available
  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ physical presence or residence in the United States prior to the birth of the child.  Such evidence may include, but is not limited to affidavits, school, employment, tax, bank, and medical records, utility bills, rent receipts, or other official public documents.

Birth to two U.S. Citizen Parents:

A child born abroad to two U.S. citizens acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if, before the child’s birth, one of the parents had a residence in the United States or its outlying possessions.

Birth to One U.S. Citizen Parent and one Non-U.S. Citizen Parent:

To transmit citizenship the U.S. citizen parent must prove that they have resided in the United States for five years, two of which were after age 14.