Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Port Louis, Mauritius (March 10, 2021)
The government of Mauritius has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Effective March 10, 2021, the government of Mauritius announced a nation-wide period of confinement until March 25th in response to COVID-19. Supermarkets, shops, and bakeries will remain closed on the 10th and reopen on the 11th subject to strict sanitary measures, including limited access through an alphabetical order system. All schools, public places including beaches, shopping centers, and restaurants are closed until March 25th. International flight arrivals have been suspended, however, departures remain scheduled.
Visit the Mauritius Ministry of Health website for additional information.
If you are planning on departing Mauritius to return to the United States but have been unable to obtain space on a commercial flight, please contact PTLConsular@State.gov with your name, the names of your immediate family members who are also traveling, and all appropriate contact information.
The Department of State has issued a Global COVID-19 Health Advisory.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mauritius, Seychelles, and Reunion.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Port Louis, Mauritius
- U.S. Consular Agency Victoria, Seychelles
- 2nd Floor Oliaji Trade Centre, Victoria
- +248 422 5256
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter