Last updated: 05/19/22
*** Effective December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
The Mauritius Ministry of Health has confirmed 37, 901 cases of COVID-19. The government of Mauritius has announced some changes in the sanitary restrictions in the country as from April 1st. The limit for the total number of people at events, social gatherings, gyms, weddings, and funerals remains at 50. The majority of non-essential services and businesses are open. Citizens will continue to have access to public beaches; however, picnics are not allowed. Only fully vaccinated citizens will be allowed in gyms, restaurants, fast food places, coffee shops and food courts. Children’s playgrounds are now open. As from April 4, only citizens with three doses of the covid-19 vaccine will be considered as fully vaccinated and will have access to all places.
Incoming visitors regardless of vaccination status will no longer have to present a negative PCR test before arrival in Mauritius.
Fully vaccinated international travelers can now enter the island without restrictions. COVID-19 testing will be required upon arrival in Mauritius (day 0). For details, please click here.
Non-vaccinated travelers will be subject to a test on arrival (day 0). They must self-isolate for 7 days in accommodation of their choice. An antigen test is required on day 7. For more details, please click here.
Health regulations remain in place including temperature screenings, social distancing and mandatory face coverings.
- Are either PCR or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Mauritius? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- Antigen test results are available within 24 hours. PCR test results may take up to 36 hours.
- COVID-19 tests are available at the C-Lab laboratory at Wellkin Hospital, C-Care Clinic, Darne Clinic, and Novolab. Results are available within 36 hours. Cost of Rs.2500 (approximately $60 USD) must be paid in full by the patient.
- Test results are sent electronically, or patient can obtain a physical copy at the clinic or hospital.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Has the government of Mauritius approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Mauritius for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Mauritius? Covaxin, Sinopharm, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson Sputnik, BioNtech Pfizer, Moderna. For details about vaccination, please click here.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- For details about entry, please click here
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- As of March 12, 2022, incoming visitors regardless of vaccination status will no longer have to present a negative PCR test taken 72 hours before arrival in Mauritius; however, unvaccinated visitors must self-isolate for 7 days in accommodation of their choice.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Residents and/or tourists seeking extension of status must contact the Mauritian Passport and Immigration Office.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Fully vaccinated international travelers are allowed to enter the island without quarantine provided they present proof of vaccination. For details, please click here.
- Non-vaccinated travelers must self-isolate for 7 days in accommodation of their choice. For details, please click here.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Buses operate along all major routes. Passengers should wear their face masks.
Fines for Non-Compliance
- Non-compliance of mask regulations may result in a fine of MRs. 500,000
- American Citizen Services are available by appointment only.
- Embassy Port Louis is not processing routine non-immigrant visa services from April 25 to July 01, 2022.
- Republic of Mauritius – Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Mauritius
- Republic of Mauritius – Ministry of Health and Wellness